Wednesday, October 24, 2012

War Eagle/Roll Tide

In honor of this cute boy in his auburn outfit, let me tell you a story:

Friday was two days away.  And on this particular Friday, you could wear your team colors.  Savannah was so excited that she was going to get to wear this adorable outfit, if I must say so myself, that I made for the girls last year.  You see, it is a three tiered skirt.  Orange and white polka dots (first tier), middle blue fabric, orange and white polka dots (third tier).  So I just assumed that Laurel would wear the same thing.  I lay them out.  Laurel looks at me and says, "Ummm.... I don't want to wear that."  Me: "why not?"  Laurel: " I just don't." (with this very suspicious look on her face)  Me: "What's going on Laurel?  You loved it last year."  Laurel: "Welllllll, you see.  I have been telling all of my friends that I go for Alabama. {me: laughing so hard}  And I will kinda look real silly walking in wearing that Auburn outfit!"
Me:  "Why are you rooting for Alabama?"
Laurel:  "Auburn's just awful!  I'm done with them! I'm going to be for the team that wins!"
Me:  "Well, it is late and we don't own any crimson tide colors in this house.  Remember your dad and I both graduated from Auburn.  So you just need to tell your friends that you were for Auburn when your mommy made you this outfit!"

Laurel walks into class the next day all decked out in orange and blue.  A couple of girls looked at her very shocked.  "Laurel, we thought you were for Alabama?" 
Laurel:  "Welllll, you see.  I didn't tell you that I use to be for Auburn and my mommy made me wear this outfit because she made it!"

I really do love football season!  We are not fanatical about the sport like most southerners.  But I love to watch a good game.  I just thought this was all too funny.  I remember when I was a child, all the cousins would be together every year for the Auburn/Alabama game.  Us and the Johnson cousins were Alabama fans because our parents were Alabama fans.  Then you had my other cousins pulling for Auburn, because their dad had gone to Auburn.  We would get into crazy arguments during these games.  So funny now to look back on this.

I did tell Laurel that she needs to stick by her team, no matter if it's Alabama or Auburn.  I told her that you can't just be for a team when they are winning.  You have to be a true fan through the bad times also.