The boys and I had just gotten home from dropping the girls off at school. We didn't even go into the house. The boys ran straight for the front yard. I was sitting on the edge of the porch watching them play, when all of a sudden I saw something scurry across the front yard. It looked like a crab at first, small and fast like that. Well, I knew that wasn't what it was because hmmmm... we aren't at the beach. Well, Molly our dog also spotted it. I jumped up and ran over and Molly was scratching all around the grass and barking excitedly. It was a tiny baby turtle. We see huge turtles a lot, but I had never seen one this little. Molly gets the turtle and puts it in her mouth. Has the whole turtle in her mouth! I'm a little excited by this time. My mother instincts kick in and I know I need to save this baby creature before Molly has turtle soup for lunch!
By this time Landon and Sawyer have run over and they are playing off my excitement. Sawyer is jumping around and making high shrill screams. Landon is saying, "what are we going to do, mommy?" I told Landon to run inside and get an apple. I told him that maybe Molly would trade us the turtle for the apple. He ran in and came out with an apple and sure enough, Molly dropped that turtle like a hot potato.
We scooped him up in a bowl.
We got in the car and drove the turtle down to the creek.
Set him free!
And Sawyer drove us home.